Wednesday 23 July 2014

Most people I know think that I'm crazy - and that's ok

I have had the song lyrics "Most people I know think that I'm crazy" running through my head since I woke up this morning.

Well that isn't anything unusual, most of the people I know probable agree with this, and love me anyway.

But this is why those particular lyrics are running through my head at this moment.

I was talking to a friend I haven't seen in years, and catching up on life, children, what we are doing now, etc and she asked why I have so many works in progress (wips), and ufo's.

I tried to explain over the phone, and I am sure had she been here she would have done the 'back away form the crazy lady' routine. As it was she stated that this was an 'unusual (read crazy) way to work. So I thought I's put it into words and see if it made any more sense. It does to me. Does anyone else work like this or am I really crazy?!?

Firstly, because of back and neck injuries, as well as osteoarthritis, I find it hard to sit for too long, or be in one position for too long.  So I have projects that I can do bits on when the hands and back aren't in too much pain, so I can progress bit by bit.

(Also sitting for too long drives me nuts!)

Next I have a mind that will not focus on anything else if I have an idea floating around in my head.  I am unable to focus on one thing if I have another idea in there. I've tried writing it down, and this sometimes works.  What is better, is if I make a start, put things together, buy the bits for it etc, then I can say to my mind, "I will focus on this, (whatever I am doing), at this moment because I have made a start on the other idea, and I will move onto it later"  Then I don't get frustrated that I am not working on my next idea, because I have at least made a start. I did say I was unique (weird).

Another reason is that I have a certain picture in my mind on how 'it' will look.  If it is not working out, and I am getting frustrated, I walk away from it. I go back occasionally to see if I like how it is turning out now, or if I have an idea how to change it to the way I pictured it.
Often I will get an idea flash into my head of what to do and I will go back and try that. Sometimes I accept that no matter how I try it is not going to work out the way I want.  If I can accept that I will move on with the project. If not, I let it go, learning from my mistakes.

Or I will put something aside until I find the 'something' that just says 'Yes', that's what I needed. Sometimes it is just a case of learning something new that will make the project work.

And lastly - I think - when I see something new or read about a new technique, I just have to try it out asap.

Sometimes as creative people we have ideas that are ahead of their time, and just waiting for something to be invented.  Sometimes we can invent them ourselves, and other times we wait for those a bit further along the creative road to invent them for us. I do love these people so much. They do the inventing, and I get to play!

This works for me, and if it takes awhile to finish, unless there is a deadline, so be it.

So am I really that crazy?
Actually I think that I am, and you know what, I love it!

3 comments:

  1. I have always heard that a true crafts person always has several projects going at once. You should see my UFO pile! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realised I replied to this on the wrong part. Bad BEV! Are they UFO'S or WIP'S ?

      Delete