Saturday 26 July 2014

Downsizing, how much 'stuff' do we really need?

We have been told we have to move again in March next year. On my last move I swore I was downsizing. Yea right!

Well this time I have heaps of notice and I'm not sure where I'm headed. I have been toying with the idea of moving out of Perth, but stay in WA. I have also been toying with the idea of packing myself up into my car, buy a trailer and travel around.  But in either case I still want to drastically downsize. So how much 'stuff' do we really need, and what can we live without.

So I have decided to do the 'if I travel, what do I really want to take with me'.  Well that downsizes my wardrobe to almost nothing! Books? I have been slowly buying and exchanging my paperbacks etc to downloads, and also my magazine subscriptions. I will need to go through my craft things and only keep things that can't easily be replaced, Make a storage box, lined with sponge/foam etc for my sewing machine. Only keep one embroidery machine so I can make my own laces, for my quilts etc, also boxed. Furniture etc would go into storage, I may decide to get a place if it is too much. And there are some items to precious to let go, memories treasured that cannot be replaced.

I'm not planning for a caravan because then you can fill it with 'stuff', and believe me you would be surprised just how much stuff you can stash in a caravan, I know! And the object is to par down to what is essential to my physical and mental wellbeing.

So how 'stuff' do we really need?

Is it just comfort, extravagance, want - not need?  Well I am about to find out, and it is going to be hard, because I am one of those people who hoard.  I was brought up by grandparents who went through the depression, who never threw anything away, upcycled everything, and used something until there was no possible use for it.

I have to unlearn, let go, and not shake when getting rid of something. Close my eyes at clean-ups, drive past roadside drops and just, keep reminding myself that I cannot possibly take this on the car or trailer.

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it

No comments:

Post a Comment