Tuesday 22 July 2014

Being the 'Weird Kid'

Ok. So there are going to be a few posts each day until I get out of my head what has been meandering around it.

Another picture on Facebook about being your unique self. When I was at school and growing up it was called being weird.

I could look at things and see shapes and pictures others could not. I had an incredible imagination and was a favourite among parents as I would tell the smaller children stories about fairies,witches, make believe that I made up on the spot to keep them amused.  The school bus driver loved me, because I would keep all the younger kids quiet as I told them my latest story.

I was more comfortable in my holey shoes and pants, than I was in getting dressed up to go to school, and I insisted on wearing trousers under my dress, so that I could spin around the monkey bars, and beat the boys many times. I was probably the only 'tomboy' in my age group all the way through school and was always on the outside.  I hated dresses, and as long as my hair was tied up I didn't care what it looked like.

But the hardest part was the fact that I was so different.

I talked about how there were not enough trees on the farm, and got patted on the head by all the (male) farmers. I spoke about the need for green belts, undisturbed land, crop rotation.  I didn't know how I knew these things, but I knew it was important. Now I would be called an environmentalist, not a know it all little brat.

I made things out of bits and pieces and loved bringing things home from the tip and making things out of them. Now it is shabby chic, and upcycling, not being a scab.

I would walk in the bush and feel the land around me, lay on the ground and feel the earth beneath me and feel the breeze wrap its arms around me.  Now I would probably still be called weird but I still feel these things, and know that I am one with nature.

I hate shoes, noisy parties, and I don't drink or smoke. My grandparents, who I grew up with were chain-smoking alcoholics who grew up in the war and depression. Most of my life was spent on a farm, and I only saw other kids at school. This meant I grew up fast, so I never could see what the other kids carried on about, and honestly I thought they were weird to.

Now I keep to myself, have a small group of friends who accept me for the unique person I am,
still don't go out to parties, and the only places I am happy shopping is in craft, material, art and hardware stores.

And you know I don't really mind being called weird now.




2 comments: