Friday 14 August 2015

Making your own Stamps or Rubbings

One of my favourite places to go when the craft fairs are on is the 'Twiddily Bits'  (not sure what it is called) where they sell all these incredible pieces that you turn into beautiful pictures etc.

But for me it is a haven for shapes that I can turn into stencils, stamps or rubbing plates. This is how I use them as stamps and rubbings. I also get those stickers you buy for cards and scrapbooking.


Firstly I glue them onto Balsa Wood. I am experimenting at the moment on sealed or unsealed stickers. Clear gesso or white gesso is another experiment for ease of cleaning.


Butterfly sticker unsealed, chandelier using clear gesso
 

You can use a hoop or just hold I found a hoop made it easier to hold still. The one on the left is using a stencil brush to rub the oil stick on, the one on the right is rubbed straight on


On this one I rubbed the oil stick straight onto the stamp and then placed the material onto it and rubbed over it, the top is unhooped, the bottom hooped. Then wiped the stamp down with Mineral Turps, then rinsed in warm soapy water. As the pieces are previously sealed it doesn't damage the stamp


 
 
 

 Above is just a quick experiment with different techniques, if I was going to use any of the pieces I would take care but this was just a morning in the sun playing with an idea

No comments:

Post a Comment