Monday 4 August 2014

The importance of play dates with yourself

I remember reading a long time ago about the importance of having play dates with yourself.  I wish I could remember where I read it,  but I'm sure that I have read it in a few books, blogs and websites.

So as part of my promise to myself I have decided to have at least one a week.

But there are rules;
1. It must not be for the business.
2. It has to be something new, or something I haven't tried for awhile that didn't work the       first time,  and I had wanted to try again.
3. It must be messy!

The messy bit is about having fun playing with my inner child. To make messes and known that that is ok.
To let go for awhile the rules of what does and doesn't work. Just give it a try for the hell of it, and if it doesn't work, it doesn't matter.  I had fun.

 If it does then great I have created something that I imagined,  pictured and brought to life.
I have honored my creative self while letting my inner child have the joy of doing something just for fun.


Today we had a sunny winters day, and I planned on making the most of it. I have wanted to stick my 'seconds' laces onto a artist board. Let them dry, gesso over it and then paint in a copper or bronze,  then put a contrasting colour as a rub on.

So today I did the really messy bit, glued it down (had glue all over my hands, am still picking the bits off) and now just have to wait for it to dry.

So today I had my play date, made a mess, sat in the sun and I loved it! Wonder what my next play date will be?




 

7 comments:

  1. I'm loving your idea of a Play date. I used to have "Nicki Nights" where I would turn off all the lights, light up a few candles, put on some of my favorite music and dance around the house. I love your new creation that you are working on now and can't wait to see it complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, had so much fun making a mess. Just waiting for it to dry.

      Delete
    2. Nothing better than a play date, love them too :) no expectations just creative freedom of limitless imagination :)) x

      Delete
    3. Yay I managed to comment :)

      Delete
    4. Great, hope you enjoy the blog

      Delete
  2. A personal play date sounds like a fantastic idea. I need to do just that!

    Your Iron laces are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thearica, we all need a time to just let go and make a mess

      Delete